Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Hello Teacher!

So I'm teaching summer school social studies at an alternative high school in Minneapolis (..."for immigrant, refugee, and at-risk students..."), and most of these kids are ESL/ELL students. Also,

I have never been shown so much respect as a teacher in my life!

One Somali kid always comes in with a big smile on his face and says, "Hello Teacher!" When I told him that he got an "A" on his first test, he said, "That's because I have a good teacher!"

I think since these kids come from settings where they weren't allowed to have a quality education, they appreciate it more. Also, they want to learn to speak English, because they know it will give them better economic opportunities.

So, for the people out there who want to force English as our "official language," it's not necessary. The economic incentives and the free market will work better than an unenforceable law.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home