Friday, January 07, 2005

Frustrated with Fiction

I don't know the last time when I read a decent fiction story. It had to have been before September 13, because I haven't read anything good since then.

The lastest problem has been The Years of Rice and Salt, by Kim Stanley Robinson. It's supposed to be a grand alternate history where Chinese and Muslims have determined the course of world history instead of Europeans. I was excited about reading about this concept, but then the author ended his chapters like this:
We do not know which way Psin went, or what happened to him; but as for Bold, you can find out in the next chapter.
or the next chapter...
One of the sailors happily named it: "Alexandria!" Bold had heard the name, though he knew nothing about it. Neither do we; but to find more, you can read the next chapter.

I don't know what kind of mood he's trying to bring to the story with these comments, but it turned me off. I'm going back to the library.

2 Comments:

Blogger M. MacLeod said...

I rarely read fiction, mainly because I can never find anything that's any more interesting than things that actually happen.

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started that piece of junk too. I got about 10 chapters in before I found something new to read. Did you get far enough to notice that at the end of EVERY chapter, he says something like "we'll see what happens next in the next chapter."
I'm reading mysteries and have found some pretty decent stuff, but for non-genre fiction, you might look at The Speed of Light by Elizabeth Rosner.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home