Saturday, December 11, 2004

Discouraging

I got a call from the principal at a charter school (!) where I applied, and he told me that there was an opening for a social studies teacher as well as a special ed teacher. He asked me whether I had a strong preference either way, and I told him that I was interested in the social studies position, and not at all in the special ed position. In fact, I said, I had already filed the paperwork to surrender the special ed license.

He said that they had fifty applications for the social studies position, and only four for the special ed position. He said that he would think about it and might call me back next week (if he wanted to interview me for the social studies job), but I should call him if I change my mind about special ed.

Fifty applications for a charter school job? In the middle of the school year? That, with the biggest concern about charter schools even staying open for an entire school year and making its payroll? I wonder if he's trying to bluff me into taking the special ed job...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home