Wednesday, October 08, 2003

We have conferences at the middle school tomorrow afternoon, so I decided to call the parents of the kids on my caseload to introduce myself. I thought it might be a bit of a surprise to them, considering I was just hired last week.

Out of the twelve kids on my middle school caseload (I have ten more at the high school), seven of them have parents who don't speak English. Three speak Spanish, one speaks Vietnamese, one speaks Hmong, one speaks Pashtun, and one speaks a Central Asian language that I'm not quite sure about.

It's hard enough to try to teach kids with learning disabilities, but when you can't communicate with their parents? And one of them has an assessment that's overdue. I have to test a kid whose first language is not English, using English-language materials, to determine if she has a legimate learning disability and not a cultural difference. Whew!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home