Monday, September 22, 2003

I just applied for a special education teaching position, even though I told myself I wouldn't. I mean, I did special ed for three years, and hated it enough that I gave up a year of income to student teach all over again and run up another $13,000 worth of student loan debt. I was happy as a social studies teacher. When I was a special ed "teacher," I did paperwork, babysat, and got bitched at by the "real" teachers because "my" students weren't behaving in their classes.

This particular job that I applied for, though, is in the same district that laid me off after I worked there for two years. If I get the special ed job, I will have completed my probationary period at the end of this year, and if I get rehired for next year, I get tenured. Also, this is the same district that screwed me out of the three years of special ed teaching experience on the pay scale. If I get hired, they will have to pay me for my three years of special ed, plus my two years in their district, and I'll be in the lane for my Master's degree. That would add up to about a $10,000 raise over last year. If they don't want to pay me that, they'll have to find another teacher, because I won't be all that broken up if I don't get to be paperwork-doing babysitter for another year.

Stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home